Thursday, August 23, 2012

How the Hello Kitty Contest began.

This is an interesting story, and I thought I would share it with you.  If you have not seen the video yet, you can check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq5ZYmBPZIA.

On August 7th, I posted a video about a Sanrio store in the mall that I work at.  It is a great store with wall to wall Hello Kitty merchandise.  I originally posted the video for my niece in the USA to watch, but I somehow caught the eye of a YouTube member in the UK. Her channel is Thelily1077 and she trades cute things with other girls through YouTube. 

I wasn't expecting any commenting on the video, but Thelily1077 was thrilled about the Sanrio store and compelled to thank me for showing the video.  She said there were no Sanrio stores in the UK and that it was really interesting to see what one looked like and the merchandise they sell. 

Thelily1077 was the first commenter I've had that was so generous and nice in her comments and messages showing a genuine continuous interest in what I was posting. The YouTube community is so much more than just posting videos.  It is also a social network with many wonderful users.  In the spirit of the YouTube community, I thought how we could both grow and do something interesting.  That is when I came up with the idea of the Hello Kitty give away contest.

I wanted to give Thelily1077's YouTube channel something unique. I thought, perhaps we could stir up some interest together.  When I told her I wanted to do a contest with her, she was happy to do it.  At first she worried that she would have to spend money, but I wasn't about to let her spend any money on my idea.  When she realized I was going to send her free stuff to give away on her channel she was ecstatic! Even though the gifts I was going to send her were not for her specifically, she was more than happy to give it away.

Since then, many other crafters, collectors and enthusiasts have seen the video in a short time and asked to do collaborations. Even though I specifically said I could not do any more free give aways, I am getting collaboration requests.  I never realized how interested people where in collectibles in Japan since I see the stuff every day.  I think it is great that I can help creative people get something unique to share to their YouTube subscribers and grow their channels.

I hope to do many more things like this in the future, including; An internet and comic cafe video, a UFO catcher video, a miscellaneous coin machine toys video, and of course more Hello Kitty stuff.  If there is something you would like to see in Japan.  Let me know, I would be happy to do a video for you.

Sincerely,
Grin

Stay Creative, It's Good For You.
and,
Show me your nerd swagger. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

For those that don't use facebook, please comment here.